Please log on to your private page with your password. Keep your password in your notebook for handy reference. If you forget your password TEXT, CALL, or EMAIL me.
The website is being renovated for 2020-2021 purposes. As I have videos or handouts, you can find them duplicated here in case you lose your copy or I can’t print/send it to you for some reason. Videos will not all stay up for the whole year, so do view these as assigned. Handouts should remain all year.
Drop me a note in the comment bar to let me know if you see a broken link or if you need some more help, or just to let me know you have visited the site.
Ideas are welcome! If you have received help on a certain website or have found a certain resource, let me know and I can include it for others. Thanks!
“Writing doesn’t just reflect thinking; it shapes thinking.” — Paula Bourque
“Writing is never done; it is only due.” — Paula Bourque
“A goal is a dream with a deadline.” — Chinese fortune cookie
On Writing Clearly:
The way for a person to develop a [writing] style is (a) to know exactly what he wants to say, and (b) to be sure he is saying exactly that. The reader, we must remember, does not start by knowing what we mean. If our words are ambiguous, our meaning will escape him. I sometimes think that writing is like driving sheep down a road. If there is any gate open to the left or the right the readers will most certainly go into it.C.S. Lewis, as quoted in pt. 2 of “The Final Interview of C. S. Lewis” by Sherwood Wirt
ambiguous = open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
Click on the yellow bar above for
- printable lined writing paper PDF
- quick visual cursive penmanship guide
“The 1000 Most Common SAT Words PDF” is in alphabetical order, 70 pages. NEW! For 2020-2021, word study process is a page of instructions for using these 1000 Most Common SAT Words PDF. Then there is the new Worksheet for weekly practice, and a handy new Check Chart for all 1000 words so you know the ones you’ve studied and which ones you have not studied yet. Thank you. 😀
Instructions: Print out the Study Process sheet and read. Print the Check Chart on cardstock or place in thick page protectors for durability. Print as many copies of the Worksheet as needed, or use it as a model for notebook paper or word processing. Refer to the link for the word definitions rather than print out 70 pages! Since they are in alphabetical order, the words should be easy to find.
ELEMENTS OF LITERATURE — coming to this site will be handouts for your weekly assignments.
WORLD Teen Web Site (link)
NOTE: You may view the articles the Smithsonian and WORLD links above; however, for special features, you will need to set up an account (e.g., to respond online).
NOTE: For Smithsonian articles, click on the Lexile score that is most comfortable for you AND challenging. Keep within the 1000 (comfortable) and 1250 (challenging) range appropriate for high school.
Sentence Structure Types:
- D, I
- I, cc I
- I; ca, I
- I divided by ,D,
- I; I
- Independent Clause = Simple Sentence
- Independent>Dependent (no comma)
- Dep. headed by subord. conj. (COMMA), Indep.
- Indep. (COMMA), coord. conj. > Indep.
- Indep. (SEMI-COLON); conj. adv. (COMMA), Indep.
- Indep. divided by a dependent clause beginning with a relative pronoun and surrounded by COMMAS.
- Indep. clause (SEMI-COLON); independent clauses
Click on the GREEN Bar for more Grammar Helps by category.
Click on the teal bar above for
- video tutorials,
- links to helpful websites,
- downloadable PDF handouts and
- tutor notes
Click on the Green Bar above for help with:
- Syntopic Reading and Writing (process of research, content and source cards, and MLA format)
- Vetting Sources
- Embedding Quotes and Info into Text
- Sample Title Page in MLA
- Sample Works Cited Page in MLA (see “Syntopic Reading and Reading Guide”)
- and more to be added continually…..
**For tutorials on creating MLA format on Microsoft Word 2010/2016, click on Brown Button below.**
The brown bar link contains embedded video tutorials for:
- General Word program help,
- using SpellCheck and GrammarCheck, and
- How to Format Word for MLA Essays and Research Papers (including in-text citations and Works Cited Page).
© August 2019 by ReadPsalm119.com. Updated August 2020. All PDFs, design, and content, unless otherwise designated, are the creation and sole property of ReadPalm119.com.